High-quality moxa rolls for indirect moxibustion, in which moxa rolls are held close to the skin at acupressure points or at sites of pain/injury. Moxibustion is one of the most popular external remedies in Traditional Chinese Medicine to treat a variety of conditions and injuries and is similar to acupuncture, except that it is easy to do at home (and involves no needles).
- Make sure you are outside or in a well-ventilated area, as moxibustion creates an aromatic smoke. For the first time using each moxa roll, unwrap the paper 1-2" from one of the ends
- Light the tip of the roll with a flame and blow it until you see a red glow
- Hold the roll over an acupressure point of your choosing, or directly over the injured area you would like to treat. Do not touch the moxa stick to the skin
- Hold it in place until you feel a warm sensation--when it starts getting too hot, move the roll away
- After waiting 5 seconds, repeat the above step. Each session should be 5-10 minutes, with a maximum of 15. Do this daily for best results (every other day is also fine)
- After your moxibustion session, put out the flame in the bowl of sand or soil and wait until there is no more smoke. You can also put it out with water (make sure it is dry before your next use)